How to write an interview essay
- The first step to writing an essay is to understand what type of essay you will be writing, as different essays require different formats and rules to follow. An interview essay is where you interview people about a certain topic, and provide summaries of those interviews.
- Choose a topic in which your interviews will provide a large enough amount of information to write your essay.
- The next step after choosing your topic is to write down the questions you will asking. These are usually questions regarding how the interviewee feels about the topic or experiences related to the topic in question. Use follow up questions after your main questions to get more detailed information from those you are interviewing. Remember that the questions you ask must focus on parts of your topic that you are trying to uncover.
- After you have your questions you should choose the people you want to interview and set up times to meet with them. Always try to find people that will have credible information regarding what you are researching. For example, if you were conducting a report on child rearing, you would interview people who had kids or professionals who specialized in child care. You can also provide of mix of sources by providing not only first person interviews but publicated interviews if they are relevant to your topic.
- When writing your essay, try to begin it with an example that leads into the main question you are focusing on for your paper. You can also include quotes or definitions regarding that express different opinions about your topic. This will show the topic being questioned from different viewpoints before you start to get the personal opinions of people.
- The body of your essay is where you’re interviews will be used as examples arguing for or against your topic questions. Be sure to present your interviews in the style of quotes and paraphrasing, summarizing the initial point of view regarding each interview. You should also compare and contrast reasons why some people might feel one way about the subject and others feel differently. Remember, the interviews you gave are supposed to provide valid explanations of feelings or opinions regarding a certain topic. Most importantly, make sure your work is clear and easy for the reader to follow. Your audience must be able to distinguish who is saying what in your interviews.
- The last part of your essay, the conclusion, should begin by restating the topic question as it should in most essays. Your ending paragraphs should cover the opinions of those you interviewed, and explain how you feel about their responses. You are basically either confirming or denying the validity of the interviewees regarding your subject matter.